Cybercriminals Targets Australian Government In Sophisticated Attack
The Australian Cyber Security Centre has released a new advisory, warning businesses of a series of sophisticated cybercriminal attacks that are exploiting public-facing infrastructure.
The Australian government is warning businesses of a new series of attacks launched by a cybercriminal against targets nationwide. The attacks, referred to as “copy-paste compromises”, make use of proof-of-concept exploit code, web shells and other tools taken from open source code.
These attacks target vulnerabilities in public-facing infrastructure, including:
- Unpatched versions of Telerik UI
- A deserialisation vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Information Services
- A 2019 SharePoint vulnerability
- The 2019 Citrix vulnerability
In addition to exploiting these vulnerabilities, the cybercriminal has also launched various spearphishing campaigns, leading targets to information harvesting websites, sending emails with malware-infected files, and fraudulently requesting Microsoft 365 authorisation tokens.
How Can You Protect Your Organisation?
The governmental advisory has offered two key recommendations to help protect businesses against these types of attacks:
- Patch Management: Did you know that one of the most common ways that cybercriminals get into a network is through loopholes in popular software? Much of the software you rely on to get work done every day could have flaws — or “exploits” — that leave you vulnerable to security breaches. To address this, developers regularly release software patches and updates to fix those flaws and protect users. This is why it’s imperative that you keep your applications and systems up to date.
- Multi-Factor Authentication: Multi-factor authentication is a great way to add an extra layer of protection to the existing system and account logins. By requiring a second piece of information like a randomly-generated numerical code sent by text message, you’re able to make sure that the person using the login credentials is actually who they say they are.
Is Your Business’ Cybersecurity Effectively Managed?
Steadfast Solutions offers comprehensive cybersecurity services to protect businesses like yours against threats like these. If you’re not getting the support you need from your current IT company, then you should consider making a change.
Like this article? Check out the following blogs to learn more:
Zoom Security Services For Australian Organisations
Ransomware Dangers & How To Protect Your Business
Does Your Business Need 2FA Cybersecurity?